1. WHY STUDY IN CHINA?
China's universities attach great importance to good school spirit. In many universities, a good school spirit is embodied by diligence, hard work, strictness, realism, pioneering, innovation and originality. Based on the characteristics of their specialities, different universities accentuate specific aspects of school spirit. For instance, medical universities install in their school spirit the concept of humanitarianism; normal universities recommend the students to develop the spirit of sacrifice and be paragons of virtue and learning; and universities of political science and law encourage the students to cultivate noble characters and to be upright and just, honest and faithful to the duties. By studying in China you will gain academic success, grow as an individual and go on to bring great honour to your homeland when you return.
WORKING WHILE STUDYING IN CHINA
International students can work for 12 hours per week in China during study period. But in summer and winter vacations international students can work more than 12 hours if they have permission.
2. ADMISSION IN CHINA
Instructions about the method to get admission in Chinese Universities METHODS TO APPLY IN CHINA FOR STUDYING
- EXCHANGES BETWEEN GOVERNMENTS:
Handled in the light of the bilateral exchanges agreements between the governments.
- INTER-COLLEGE EXCHANGES:
Handled in accordance with exchanges agreements between the colleges or universities.
- RECOMMENDATIONS BY COMMUNITIES:
Applying by means of China's relevant organizations or directly to related universities or colleges in China by foreign universities or colleges, educational organizations, friendship groups.
- INDIVIDUAL APPLICATIONS:
Individual students may apply through China's relevant agencies or directly to the relevant universities or colleges in China. Preparation of Application Materials
1. Application forms for studying in China
2. Physical Examination Record for Foreigners
3. Diplomas of the latest degree, courses learned and transcripts
4. As an extra, recommending letters by two teachers with titles of or above associate professor (or the equivalent) or persons of higher positions for those who apply for Master' degree or doctoral degree studies.
5. Apart from items above, consignee identification of matters in China and certificate of economic guarantee need to be provided in the case of those who are at their own expense.
6. The above materials must be in Chinese or English, or with translation in any of these two languages. Relevant forms may be available from Chinese embassies (consulates) or concerned universities in China.
When to Apply
Foreign students of bilateral exchanges projects between governments should apply through relevant departments of their own countries, which are in charge of choosing and sending students to China, from February 1 to April 30.
Entrance Examinations and Tests For learners and trainees of Chinese languages, enrollment will be on the basis of competitive selection in light of education certificates.
1. For those to be undergraduates of arts, enrollment will be on the basis of competitive selection in light of degree certificates, medium stage C level certificates of HSK (Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi -Chinese Proficiency Test), and the examinations and tests held by the universities.
2. For those to be scientific, medical, agricultural, or technological undergraduates, enrollment will be on the basis of competitive selection in light of degree certificates, primary stage C level of HSK result, and the Admission examinations.
3. Those to be postgraduates ought to have bachelor's degrees certificates, certificates for courses already attended and transcripts, recommendations of two associate professors (or with titles above), and will have to pass the entrance examinations arranged by relevant universities. Only by means of attending courses arranged by the universities and passing courses examinations after they arrive in China can these students gain their qualifications to prepare theses, or otherwise they will have to graduate as trainees. The applicants already in China should attend united postgraduate Admission examinations held by China. The graduates from universities in China and of the same year may be enrolled by universities and colleges in light of China's recommendation admission methods without usual entrance examinations.
4. Applicants for doctoral study must be of Master's degrees, with certificates, list of courses accomplished, two recommendation letters by teachers with titles of associate professor or above, and pass the examinations or tests held by the universities and colleges. Applicants already in China should attend united doctoral students admission examinations held for native students. Foreign postgraduates in China who are qualified of graduating and studying for doctorates ahead of schedule can study for doctoral degrees in advance according to the relevant regulations.
- The would-be undergraduates, postgraduates and doctoral students of artistic colleges are required to offer the photos or tape records of their artistic works and tutor's recommendations as well.
- Foreign students who have graduated in China will be granted priority to return for further education.
- Foreign students, of all types, will be examined by relevant universities, and enrolled on the basis of competitive selection. The application for change of institution or major and the extension of study of scholarship students
(1) The institution, major, research topic and duration of each scholarship student having been set when enrolled, in principle, cannot be changed. If there do exist valid reasons to change, the students shall contact relevant institutions on their own (within the 80 institutions), they should get approved from the institution they are studying at and the institution they want to transfer to. The foreign embassy in China shall note the China Scholarship Council (CSC) together with the approval letters from relevant institutions. After approval, they can make the change.
(2) Scholarship students who finish the planned study and want to extend their study in China shall apply to the institution. If agreed, the institution will give the students approval letters. If they want to change to other institutions, they shall submit the approval letter from the target institution. The foreign embassy in China or the competent authority in charge of overseas students in the dispatching country shall note in write the CSC together with the approval letter.
2. STUDENT VISA PROCESS
Process to obtain Chinese Student Visa for international students.
Scholarship granted students According to the regulations of the Ministry of Public Security, foreign students of governmental scholarships can, with Admission Notice and the Visa Application Form for Studying in China (JW201 form) both delivered by the Chinese universities and Physical Examination Record for Foreigner, submit applications to Chinese embassies and consulates for X visa within due terms. Self-paid students Students of in-college exchanges projects and self-paid students chosen by the Chinese universities can, with Admission Notice and the Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China both delivered by the Chinese universities and the Physical Examination Record for Foreigner, submit applications to Chinese embassies and consulates for X visas within due terms.
THOSE WHO WILL STAY IN CHINA FOR LESS THAN HALF A YEAR MAY APPLY FOR F VISA.
All foreign students shall take the original copies of Admission Notice, Visa Application for Foreigners Wishing to Study in China (JW201) and Physical Examination Record for Foreigner to apply for the Visa to China and enter China with the above original documents. Those with other passports, visas or without the original forms of above mentioned documents cannot register at the institution, and they cannot apply for residence permit in China.
4. LIST OF UNIVERSITIES IN CHINA
Chinese Universities and Colleges with link to their respective websites
|Beijing Jiaotong University  Beijing University  Beijing University of Technology  Beijing Institute of Technology  Beijing Normal University  Beihang University  China Medical University  China University of Geosciences  Capital University of Medical Sciences  Central South University  Chongqing University  Dalian University of Technology  East China Normal University  East China University of Science and Technology  Fudan University  Huazhong University of Science and Technology  Hohai University  Hunan University  Hunan Normal University  Harbin Institute of Technology  Jinan University  Jilin University  Lanzhou University  Nankai University  Northeast Normal University  Nanjing University of Technology  Nanjing University of Science and Technology  Nanjing Normal University  Northeastern University  Nanjing University  Ocean University of China  Qinghua University  Renmin University of China  Shanghai Jiaotong University  Sichuan United University  Shanghai University  Southwest Jiaotong University  Soochow University  Shandong University  South China University of Technology  Southeast University  Tianjin University  Tongji University  University of Science and Technology Beijing University of Science and Technology of China Wuhan University Wuhan University of Technology  Xian Jiaotong University  Xiamen University Yunnan University  Yangzhou University  Zhejiang University  Zhongshan University  Zhengzhou University  Zhongnan University of Economics and Law 
5. LIVING COST IN CHINA
Living Cost for International Students in China
Food costs are generally reasonable in China, so housing is the major expense. Contacts are important for finding the best place to live, so start talking to people as soon as you reach there for comfortable but reasonably priced living arrangements. In general, western China tends to be cheaper than the eastern port cities of Beijing, Qingdao, Shanghai, and Guangzhou. In Beijing, both furnished and unfurnished properties are available. Furnished houses are very easy to find in the rental market of Beijing.
For travel between cities, buses and boats are almost always cheaper than trains and planes.
The students will be housed in safe, secure, clean and comfortable accommodation. The standard style of accommodation is in double occupancy rooms, but single accommodation is available at an additional cost.
In Beijing, participants will be housed in a three star hotel, adjacent to the campus of Beijing University. All rooms include attached (en-suite) western-style bath, 24-hour hot water, air-conditioning, television and telephone. Most rooms offer ports for internet connection as well.
In Shanghai, the housing will be in university-owned on-campus housing on the campus of Shanghai Jiao tong University. As in Beijing, in Shanghai all rooms include attached (en-suite) western-style bath, 24-hour hot water, air-conditioning, television and telephone and most rooms also have ports for internet connection. In Hong Kong: In fall semesters housing in Hong Kong will be in a three star hotel, adjacent to the campus of Hong Kong University. In spring semesters this final week of the program will be spent in university-owned on-campus housing on the campus of Hong Kong University. As in Beijing and Shanghai, all rooms will include attached (en-suite) western-style bath, 24-hour hot water, air-conditioning, television and telephone and most rooms also have ports for internet connection.
Scholarships and Financial aid available for International Students in China
In china, students are supported financially for their study expenses by providing various scholarships. Students of good character are rewarded, commended and granted scholarship by China's universities. Chinese government scholarship programs
FOREIGN STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP
It is set by the educational exchange program signed or the understanding reached by China and other countries, organizations or institutions. It is divided into full scholarship and partial scholarship. Applicants can apply to the competent or relevant authority of the dispatching country or the Chinese embassy (consulate).
THE GREAT WALL SCHOLARSHIP
It is set for the candidates recommended by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). It is full scholarship. Applicants can apply to the UNESCO or its branches.
DISTINGUISHED FOREIGN STUDENTS SCHOLARSHIP
It is established for students with excellent performance both in conduct and study who have finished one level of study in China and continue to pursue a higher level degree study in China. It is full scholarship. Applicants can apply to the CSC through the recommendation of their institution.
HSK WINNER SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
It is established for non-native Chinese language candidates with excellent performance in HSK test (Chinese Proficiency Test). It is full scholarship. Applicants can apply to the CSC through the test holding unit or the Chinese embassy (consulate).
CHINESE CULTURE RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP
It is established for overseas scholars who are engaged in the study of Chinese culture. It is full scholarship. Applicants can apply to the CSC through the recommendation of relevant Chinese institutions, professors or the Chinese embassy (consulate) or directly to the CSC.
SHORT-TERM STUDIES SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM FOR FOREIGN TEACHERS TEACHING CHINESE
It is established for foreign Chinese language teachers. It is full scholarship. Applicants can apply to the CSC through relevant Chinese institutions or the Chinese embassy (consulate) or directly to the CSC.